Friday, March 28, 2014

Never Too Young

My writing journey started out almost 11 years ago. I actually started writing because I was bored and had nothing to do. Drat those parents who don't believe in excessive video gaming and television watching! I distinctly remember the time because we were trying to sell the house and so the school room was on the second floor (long story I'll probably never tell you).


Oh, right, so you may not get the concept of a "school room." I'll explain it. Basically, it's a room in which you do school. They're all over the place at schools; you might be familiar with them. Since my parents home schooled me and my siblings, and because they believed in a very structured school environment, there was room devoted entirely to school. Everyone had their own desk. It was all very structured.

Anyway, back to the story. The school room was on the second floor. I remember this distinctly because when I was sitting at the computer, deciding how to start, I thought to myself, "Man all of these desks are sure going to put some serious dents in the carpet!" (The second floor is carpeted while the first floor is wood) Once you put dents in a carpet, they never come out which is why I noticed...

And now I'm sidetracked again. Where am I? What am I doing? Oh wait...yeah, I'm writing another short story. (clears throat)

Philip dashed across the courtyard, carrying two dozen eggs, a parakeet, and a piano. This was possible only because the piano was small, a baby grand rather than a full sized.

 Wait a second...Oh right, now I'm back on track. I was telling you my story. So there I was, not even a teenager yet, trying to figure out how to start out my book. Which was kind of a dumb thing to do, in retrospect, since I didn't even really know what I wanted to write about. The process was all very jumbled, but eventually I decided two things: 1) my book was going to be about dragon(!), and 2) the leading character was going to be a girl.

These were both terrible ideas (not because dragons and girls aren't cool; there were other reasons) but I'll talk about that in the next post. So basically from all this hodgepodge of a post, I want to get across a single point which I will leave you with until next time. It's in the next paragraph so go ahead and look down there.

Anyone no matter the age, education level, or any other factor can write. All you have to do is pick up a pencil (or keyboard in my case, though I didn't really pick it up but rather left it on the computer desk) and start writing (or typing as the case may be). It doesn't even matter if you are easily distracted and don't order your thoughts well because this is just the first draft that all that doesn't matter...oh my. There I go again. Okay, let's take one last stab at this.

Anyone can write. All you have to do is try.

No comments:

Post a Comment