Saturday, July 21, 2012

Philmot Journal: Day 8


Day 8: June 17, 2012

            Today was terrible. We signed up for a conservation project (necessary to earn the Philmont patch) from 8:00 to 11:00 AM and would have a ten mile hike afterwards. It was going to be a rough day, but still doable. We arrived at the project area only to find that an error by the staff left us without a project to do. The only other place to do a project on our trek is at Baldy town, a location that we will be going through on a 12 mile day. I just love the thought put into the locations of these projects. Needless to say, I’m not too impressed with the planning for these things.
            Anyway, it’s Fathers’ Day today; I guess it was a good one for Dad because he enjoys hiking. I personally think that he must be a bit of a sadist to enjoy it, but who am I to judge. As I said before, we did about 10 miles today. It was lots of fun (insert heavily sarcastic tone here). Nothing of interesting happened today, and when I say that, I mean it in the fullest sense of the word. It was so boring that it was probably remarkable in the fact that nothing interesting happened. In fact, it was so boring that if you took the most boring person that you know and put him on this particular day of the trek, he would probably seem extremely interesting. I honestly think that I would have rather picked cotton than participated in this particular day.

Entry 2
            Round two of the 8th day is about to begin. I thought long and hard about today and decided that there were actually a few things of interest (relatively speaking) that I can relate. Nash’s back is screwing up on him. We should probably get rid of it since it’s slowing us down. There ARE camp stores periodically along the trail, so maybe we can pick up a new one. Nash said the last time he bought a spine, he got a used on which explains his current discomfort. This time we’ll be sure to choose a top quality one. And if we can’t find a spine, perhaps a new crew member. You can find anything in these stores. We did pass a store today and looked for a new Nash, but wouldn’t you know it they didn’t have a single one. Stevens and Pauls, yes, but no Nashes. Rats. I guess we’ll just have to put up with him.
            On the plus side, I found out two new things about Nash today. 1) Nash owns his own company called “Good Company.” The funny thing is, they sell substandard stuff. They are mainly in the frosting market. 2) Nash has a violent younger sister who, for all intents and purposes, is NOT cute. Nash’s sister: if you are reading this, those were his words, not mine. Hit him next time you see him. Heaven knows my sister would do the same to me.
            As I said, not much of interest today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment