Friday, June 29, 2012

Philmont Journal: Day 2

Day 2: June 11, 2012

            After getting up early this morning and packing, we got back into our tin cans of death and continued on our way. The terrain flattened out when we entered Oklahoma, probably because the people of Arkansas got to the flat part and said, "We've got all of the good stuff. Let someone else have this crap." The trip become considerably more boring after crossing the State Line. I look left and right and can see the earth curve.
            We stopped in Oklahoma City. To see the memorial there. I had only vaguely heard of the 1995 bombing there and was not familiar with the event until today. The memorial was a real eye opener. Apparently two fish droppings (figure it out yourself) decided that they didn't like the Federal Government and that the best way to display that dislike was to kill innocent people. They killed 186 people including 19 children. The youngest was 3 months old. I'm sure these two men, strike that, monsters thought that violence was a spectacular and effective method of making a point, but what did they accomplish? Nothing except to kill people whose only crime was that they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The collateral damage from such displays is too great and should never be considered an acceptable risk. Violence is rarely the answer.
            We drove straight through Oklahoma today. It wasn't that interesting considering that I could already see the West end when we entered from the East. We went through Texas. People say that everything is bigger in Texas, but I don't know what they're referring to. Unless it is the large tracts of boring, open space. Or disappointment at everything NOT being bigger. Actually, to be fair, there were a lot of big trucks, though you have to consider the other side of that statement. You know what they say about guys with big trucks...they get horrible gas mileage.
            We are sleeping in an Indian (feather not dot) museum tonight. It is interesting to see all of the stuff in it. I also think that the concrete floor will make a nice, cozy bed though I think that I will need to find a pillow.
            We ate dinner at "The Big Texan," home of the free 72 oz. steak meal. Of course you have to finish the whole thing in an hour or it costs $75. Needless to say, no one from our crew attempted the challenge. The record is apparently held by a professional eater who finished it in 8 minutes and a few odd seconds. Actually, the record is held by a Siberian tiger who ate it in 90 seconds, but I don't think that he counts. Anyway, the steaks at the restaurant were good though you can definitely add prices to the list of "bigger" items in Texas.
            Well, it's time to go to sleep with all of these creepy Indian masks and such staring at me. At least I won't have nightmares about a giant steak eating ME in under an hour. We're supposed to reach Philmont tomorrow. Then the real adventure will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment